Out of the many categorizations of electric mobility scooters, these two types of electric mobility scooters emerge as the most prominent: 3-wheeled type and the 4-wheeled type.
Here are the differences between the two:
Compared to the 4-wheel model, the 3-wheel model is easier to maneuver. The 3-wheeled type is ideal for indoor use such as shopping in a store or similar environment like small rooms and narrow aisles. It is easy to turn in sharp corners with the 3-wheel type.
The three-wheel electric mobility scooters are not as durable compared to the 4-wheeled model.
The 3-wheel type is cheaper compared to the 4-wheel version.
Based on the number of wheels itself, the one with the lesser wheels – the three-wheel model is more lightweight. As the 4-wheeled version has more weight, it can also accommodate users with more weight.
The 3-wheel electric mobility scooters have more legroom in comparison with the four-wheel scooters.
The four-wheel electric mobility scooters operate at a higher speed compared to the three-wheel version.
As the 3-wheeled electric mobility scooters are lightweight, they are easy to transport as they can easily be assembled and disassembled.
- Terrain Adaptability
The 4-wheeled electric mobility scooters are more adaptable in rough and rugged terrain; while the 3-wheeled version is more appropriate for smooth surfaces such as paved roads.
These two types of electric mobility scooters, however, share the following characteristics:
- Both provide people with total or partial walking disabilities (as a result of advanced age, physical injury or other limitations brought about by health related conditions) with an increased mobility range.
- Both have powered rear wheels and steerable front wheel.
- They have a general look of a tiny golf cart.
- These two types of electric mobility scooters conserve the users’ energy. More energy is spent with walking and other formsof assistive equipment compared to using electric mobility scooters.
- Both these mobility solutions are friendly to the environment as these walking aids do not leave behind noxious fumes, exhaust components and dripping fluids.